Black Pepper Biscuits
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil (chilled, solid)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Combine soy milk & vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes. It should thicken and mimic the consistency of buttermilk.
- Try to work in a chilled metal bowl. Add flours, baking powder, salt, a generous amount of black pepper and solid coconut oil. Use a fork to evenly incorporate the solid coconut oil into the dry ingredients.
- Once the coconut oil has been evenly distributed into the flour, slowly add in the soy milk mixture. Stir as you go and add liquid until your batter can be formed into a ball.
- Roll out the dough with your hands onto a non-stick or floured surface. Use a 1/2 cup sized measuring cup to cut the biscuits out of the dough.
- Sprinkle with more black pepper and bake on a nonstick cookie sheet or baking mat at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the biscuit bottoms are golden brown.
Recipe by Bailey West of Lettuce Beet Diabetes