Spring Bok Choy Stir-Fry
- 1 block tofu, pressed* and crumbled into bite sized pieces, or 1 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. tamari, divided
- 2 tsp. ground ginger, divided
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced garlic, divided
- 2 Tbsp. rice flour
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth, as needed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 bunches bok choy, sliced
- ¼ tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, rice or other grain
- Sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
*Pressing the water out of tofu creates better consistency. You can google various methods of doing so.
- Mix 2 Tbsp. tamari, 1 tsp. ground ginger, and 1 Tbsp. minced garlic in a small container; add and toss tofu or chicken and set aside. Marinate tofu or chicken at least 30 minutes, up to an hour.
- Sprinkle rice flour evenly over tofu or chicken.
- Heat 2 tsp. coconut oil and 1 tsp. sesame oil in a wok over high heat; sauté tofu or chicken until browned and cooked through; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable broth in wok over high heat; add 1 Tbsp. garlic, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 2 green onions; stir-fry 1-2 minutes; add carrots and cook an additional 2 minutes; add bok choy and stir until cooked down; toss in 1/4 tsp. five spice powder, 1 Tbsp. tamari, or more to taste; add additional veggie broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, to prevent sticking as needed.
- Stir in 1 cup cooked brown rice and tofu or chicken. Toss to mix. Top with sesame seeds, if desired.
Recipe by Dawn Hutchins of Florida Coastal Cooking