Thai Coconut Quinoa with Fresh Cilantro and Lime
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water or broth
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut palm nectar
- 1 1-inch knob fresh ginger (or more, if you like fresh ginger)
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Half bunch of fresh, chopped finely (or more, to taste)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 small napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers (red and green), seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or chopped peanuts
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
- Asian hot sauce (optional)
- 2 avocados, seeded and slice
- In a small stock pot, combine the quinoa, garlic, salt, coconut milk, and water and heat on medium high until simmering, cover and reduce heat to low; cook 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff; allow to cool a bit while preparing the rest.
- Blend the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl (using a food processor here makes fast work of chopping.)
- Toast the sunflower seeds or peanuts with coconut oil for 4 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the salad bowl, stir in the dressing; top with toasted sunflower seeds and avocado. Add additional salt, to taste, and a dash of hot sauce as desired.
Recipe by Dawn Hutchins