Power Up With Brain-Healthy Foods
Our brains never rest: Even when we sleep, our brains are busy taking care of our circulatory, respiratory, nervous and every other system in our bodies. It requires a non-stop supply of fuel and, just like any other engine, it runs best on high-quality fuel. Many of the nutrients that support overall good health are also the best foods for brain health, including your mood, memory, and mental outlook. Here are just a few brain-healthy foods and why they make the list:
- Wild salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids, according to the National Institutes of Health, can “influence brain elasticity.” Fatty fish such as salmon is rich in omega-3s, which studies show may slow the mental decline of age and help ward off Alzheimer’s disease.
- Broccoli: This nutritional powerhouse has antioxidants and vitamin K, which is essential for forming the type of fat that’s dense in healthy brains.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is being closely studied, and research is suggesting that this spice may reduce symptoms of depression, boost brain cell growth, and improve memory.
- Blueberries: The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds in blueberries fight the inflammation and oxidative stress that may be a factor in neurodegenerative diseases, and can “positively impact learning and memory.”
- Beans: Most types of beans have folate and magnesium, which may reverse some of the effects of Alzheimer’s disease. They also support good circulatory function, which is always good for the brain.
- Beets: Beets are another food that increases blood flow, and beet juice may lower blood pressure as well.
- Walnuts: With antioxidants, vitamin E and healthy fats, nuts are an important part of good nutrition, but walnuts stand out for their omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dark chocolate: A number of studies suggest that the antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, in dark chocolate and cocoa powder are associated with improved cognitive function and have positive effects on the parts of the brain that deal with memory and learning.
Vitamins and supplements for staying sharp.
Native Sun carries an extensive line of supplements and supplement blends, vitamins, probiotics and more, including these brain boosters:
- Country Life Coenzyme B-complex and Buried Treasure B-Complete: B vitamins are important to neurochemical processes and everyday functions of the brain.
- Natren Healthy Trinity and Healthy Start System: Probiotic supplements support the good gastrointestinal bacteria the influence brain, mood, and overall mental health.
- Nordic Naturals DHA Extra and Ultimate Omega: Omega-3 fatty acids are integral to brain tissue integrity, while DHA plays a key role in the development of brain, eye and nerve tissues.
- Himalaya Bacopa: Some research suggests that bacopa may protect the brain on a cellular level from developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Buried Treasure MCT Oil: A Journal of Neurobiology of Aging study found that the MCTs in coconut oil helped improve memory problems in older adults.
- Host Defense Lion’s Mane Mushroom: Studies have shown lion’s mane mushrooms improve memory and stimulate cognitive function.
- Buried Treasure Neuro Nectar and Added Attention: These liquid supplement blends contain phosphatidylserine and DHA, plus high-potency amounts of vitamins, minerals, herbs, DMAE, gotu kola, and B vitamins.
Find out about our full line of products that can help you stay sharp naturally. Our associates are glad to answer your questions!