BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
Check out the latest Savings in stores now!
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cans jackfruit, drained (Native Forest)
- 1 Tbsp bbq or grill seasoning, or see below recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, sliced off the cob
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce of choice, or make your own
- 1 cup pre-made kale slaw (Native Sun Deli) or coleslaw of choice
- Serve with toasted sesame buns, or omit the buns and choose baked beans on the side!
For The Grill Seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes, or less, if you don't want the heat
- Heat 2 tsp oil over medium low heat; add the onion and cook, stirring every ten minutes for 40-50 minutes or until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat; add the jackfruit and break up with a spatula; season with grill seasoning; cook until browned, 5-7 minutes, stir and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in corn and BBQ sauce; cook an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through. Taste and add additional seasonings or BBQ sauce, if necessary.
- Divide the kale slaw, jackfruit mixture, and caramelized onions evenly over each of four buns, if using, or each of four plates. Top with top half of bun and serve with baked beans.