Black Bean Taquitos
Check out the latest Savings in stores now!
- ½ c. cooked black beans,
- drained and rinsed if canned
- ½ c. sweet corn kernels
- ¼ c. diced red pepper
- ¼ c. minced yellow onion
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 10 to 12, 6 inch corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Garnishes: chopped green
- onion, cashew cream
- 1 c. raw cashews
- 1 - 2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Place cashews in high-powered blender* and fill with water right to cashew line. Process until smooth. Add more water until you reach desired consistency for sauce.
- In a food processor, combine black beans, sweet corn, pepper, onion, spices, and cilantro. Pulse three to four times until ingredients are slightly combined-this is just to chop slightly.
- Stack 5 tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for about 20 seconds to soften (this helps prevent them from cracking when rolled). Heat a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. until pliable. Working quickly as the skillet heats, scoop 2 to 3 tablespoon of the filling onto the third of the tortilla closest to you. Roll the edge closest to you over the filling and tuck tightly. Then, continue to roll and place the taquito seam side down on a baking tray. Stick with a toothpick if necessary. Repeat with remaining filling.
- Once all five are filled, add about ½ tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, give it a few seconds to heat, then add the filled taquitos seam side down. Cook the taquitos on each side until brown and crispy, then transfer to a clean plate.
- Repeat the process in small batches of five, adding a little more oil to the skillet each time, until all the filling has been used (makes 10-12 taquitos).
- Top with green onion and cashew cream, and serve.
*If you don’t have a high-powered blender, soak cashews in water for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Drain the water and use new water to make recipe.