Carrot Ginger Soup with Sweet Ginger Croutons
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut in ½-inch chunks
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and cut in ½-inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp. The Ginger People grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp. The Ginger People ginger juice
- ½ c. heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crème fraiche (for garnish)
- Cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Chives, snipped (for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. The Ginger People ginger spread
- 3 thick slices French bread (3⁄4 -in.), cut into cubes (about 4 c.)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and ground coriander. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add stock, carrots, and parsnips. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- See below to prepare your croutons.
- Stir grated ginger and ginger juice into vegetable mixture.
- Puree mixture until smooth with a hand-held blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to saucepan; add cream and heat through.
- Garnish soup with crème fraiche, fresh cilantro, chives, and top with Sweet Ginger Croutons.
- Stir butter and ginger spread in a large saucepan on medium heat, just until melted.
- Add bread cubes, and toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake croutons for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Check and stir several times to prevent burning.