Chickpea Pot Pie
1 package whole grain crusts, softened to package directions
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain, non-dairy milk
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, be sure to drain and rinse)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
Check out the latest Savings in store now!
- Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crusts as directed for a two crust pie using a 9-inch, deep dish glass pie pan.
- Melt Earth Balance over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepan; add onion; cook 2-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent; stir in flour, salt and pepper; stir in broth and non-dairy milk, cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.
- Add in chickpeas and mixed vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chickpea mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent over-browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image by Dawn Hutchins.