Chocolate Cassava Crunch Cookies
Makes 20 - 24 Cookies
- 5 oz. dark chocolate
- 3 oz. cassava strips
- 1 tbsp. palm shortening
- ¾ c. palm shortening
- ½ c. coconut sugar
- 1/3 c. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¼ c. almond flour
- 1/3 c. + 1 tbsp. Cassava flour
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and palm shortening in a large bowl and add the cassava strips and toss with the melted chocolate.
- Pour the strips on a pan lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer while you prepare the cookie dough.
- Add the palm shortening, coconut sugar and maple to a bowl and beat with a hand or stand mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the almond flour, cassava flour, sea salt and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Remove the chips from the freezer and add them to the cookie dough and mix for about 30 seconds or until chips are incorporated.
- Scoop about two tablespoons of cookie dough and place on the baking sheet. Flatten the top of the cookie slightly with the palm of your hand and cook for 8 minutes or until the bottom is slightly browned.
- Let set for a couple minutes and then place on a cooling rack.
- Repeat until all the cookie dough is gone.