Gooey Veggie Grilled Cheese
- 1/3 cup peeled and diced onion
- 1 2/3 cups finely diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced fresh carrot
- 2/3 cup hot water from the boiling veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. coarse ground mustard
- 1 loaf bread such as Dave’s Killer Bread, Organic Blues Bread with Blue Cornmeal Crust
- Coconut oil, melted
Check out the latest Savings in-store now!
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a stock pot; add onions, potatoes and carrots to the boiling water; cook about 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Add 2/3 cup water from veggies into a blender; add cashews, nondairy milk, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and mustard; blend well; spoon tender veggies in and blend again.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; brush oil over bread; place one slice, oil side down, on the pan; spoon veggie mixture onto bread and spread evenly; top with second side of bread and cook until golden brown on each side – one to three minutes.
Recipe by Dawn Hutchins.