Heart Healthy Bean and Pasta Salad
- 1 pkg brown rice penne
- 2 15.5-oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 c. cut fresh or canned (drained) corn
- ½ green pepper, washed, seeded, and diced in ¼-inch pieces
- ½ small red onion, diced in ¼-inch pieces
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, cut into bite sized cubes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp agave
- 1 tsp cumin
- Dash chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta to package directions; drain and let cool. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Add black beans, corn, pepper, onion, tomatoes and cilantro to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with avocado, serve immediately.*
- *If serving at later time, wait to chop avocado.