Shepherd's Pot Pie
Check out the latest Savings in stores now!
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- Sea salt
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped, for roasting, plus additional 1/3 c. chopped onion for filling
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped (leave the skin on)
- 1 sweet potato, chopped (skin on)
- 1/4 plain, non-dairy creamer
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, plus 1/3 cup vegan butter for filling
- 1/4 c. veggie broth, plus 1 3/4 cups for filling
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 c. plain, non-dairy milk
- 1 c. frozen, mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans and corn)
Preheat oven to 425F; grease two baking sheets with coconut oil. Add chopped carrot, parsnip, butternut squash and one chopped onion to baking sheets, sprinkle with salt and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until soft. Remove from heat and set three cups out for the recipe, reserve any remaining roasted vegetables for another use.
Place potatoes in a large pot of water with 1/2 tsp salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and add 1/4 cup creamer, 2 Tbsp butter and 1/4 cup veggie broth, 1/4 tsp salt (or, to taste), blend until creamy with an immersion blender. Set aside in a separate container, rinse pot.
Heat 1/3 cup vegan butter to rinsed pot, add 1/3 cup onion. Cook for two minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp thyme. Add 1 3/4 cup broth, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup frozen, mixed veggies, 3 cups of the roasted veggies. Heat until warm, bubbly and thickened.
Pour mixture into a round baking dish, top with two cups of mashed potato mixture in rounded spoonfuls, smooth with the back of a spoon. Reserve remaining mashed potatoes for another use. Bake for 15 minutes at 425F or until top is lightly browned.